Location: Boonshoft Museum of Discovery
Work Hours: 19-24 hours per week, non-exempt
Reports To: Curator of Live Animals
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Two or four year degree in Zoology, Biology, Natural Resources or similar field of study or currently working towards a degree. Experience with animal care and education programs at a zoo or similar institution is desired. Desired traits include reliability, good communication and observation skills and availability on weekends.
JOB DUTIES: The primary purpose of this position is to further the museum’s mission of being the premier regional provider of interactive science learning experiences. This is accomplished by helping the museum maintain and display a high quality indoor zoo. This position assists the museum in maintaining our animal care to the highest possible level following all AZA accreditation standards, state and federal guidelines. Furthermore this position will help educate guests by presenting educational animal shows and interactive opportunities.
Job duties are as follows:
• Animal husbandry, including: cleaning animal habitats, preparing and feeding out diets, creating and providing enrichment, and assisting with operant conditioning training.
• Present educational programs utilizing live animals.
• Ability to use variety of soaps and cleaning agents with necessary safety equipment.
• Ability to follow required animal/staff safety and training protocols.
• Provide input and participate in museum/department conservation initiatives.
• Record notes in daily reports, feed charts, weight charts, etc.
• Provide input on animal health and behavior issues and medicate animals as needed.
• Observe animals for abnormal behaviors and/or illness.
• Store food and bedding.
• Assist with larger museum projects such as exhibit renovation, fundraising, etc.
• Clean public areas of animal exhibits.
• Work evening museum events and rentals.
• Answer phones and provide information for museum callers on animal issues.
• Provide customer service for museum visitors.
• Ability to use ladders safely.
• Work with and serve as a job mentor for museum interns and volunteers both youth and adult.
• Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS: This is a physically demanding job. The person in this position frequently lifts, carries, or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 25-50 pounds. The position requires frequent standing, walking, stooping and crouching for extended periods of time.
To apply send cover letter, resume and application to:
The Boonshoft Museum of Discovery
Attn: Stephanie Hylinski, Curator of Live Animals
2600 DeWeese Parkway
Dayton, OH 45414